Thursday, August 9, 2012

A day of Japanese traditional culture

Today we went to Aiko's grandmother's house. She lives in a traditional-style Japanese house with a rock garden which was beautiful. She is 81 years old, but looks and moves about like she is much younger. I was able to wear a kimono today. They found one that was long enough, except for the sleeves (but that's not a surprise since I have monkey arms). Aiko's aunt was also there. She is a master of ikebana (traditional Japanese flower arranging). So I was able to get a special ikebana lesson from her. She is a great teacher and hysterical. Masako also taught me how to make powdered green tea. So today was full of traditional Japanese culture!

 Masako (Aiko's mom) making powdered green tea. The women to the left of the camera are Aiko's aunt and grandmother.

Delicious lunch with homemade tempura.

These are the vases we used to make ikebana. In the base of the vases are spiky wooden and metal plates to affix the plants to.

Master of ikebana at work.

Her finished work.

Masako's finished ikebana.

All three of ours together. Mine is the one on left.

Beautiful porch area that can open up to the rock garden. 
(Doors closed)

(Doors open)

Picking out which yukata I should wear.

Masako and I in our kimono.
P.S. That is not how I normally stand at all. Aiko's grandmother spent a couple minutes rearranging my foot placement.

Posing next to my ikebana. Also, standing with strange foot positioning compliments of Aiko's grandmother.



Cute, bow-style tie of the obi. It's a style for the "Miss". 

The yukata that I chose.

The garden. These are "monkey throw" trees. They are slippery, so when monkeys try to climb up they are thrown down.





Obi tying lessons: The cute "Miss" bow-style

Obi tying lessons: The "Missus" style

No comments:

Post a Comment